Recent Storm Damage Posts
Winter Storm Preparation
Heavy rain and freezing temperatures, damaging winds, sleet and snow can cause serious and costly property damage to your home or business if you are not ready. You can't control the weather however you can make provisions and be prepared to help take the sting out of winter weather.
Protect your property by taking these precautions before colder weather hits to help prevent costly damages from old man winter.
- Inspect tree limbs and branches around your property. Strong winds, heavy rain, snow and ice can cause branches to fall, which could potentially lead to damages to the structure and even cause personal injuries.
- Inspect the roof, water pipes, and gutters to ensure they are in proper working order. Direct gutter downspouts away from your structure. Clear all debris from gutters. Leaves, pine needles and other obstructions can cause a damming effect, which can lead to roof damage and interior water problems.
- Inspect walkways and parking lots for proper drainage to alleviate potential flood hazards.
- Inspect all handrails, stairwells, and entryways to prevent potential slippery or hazardous areas. Install mats or non-slip surfaces. Post caution signs where water could be present.
- When temperatures dip below freezing, allow faucets to drip to help prevent pipes from freezing. Leaving cabinet doors open allows warm air to circulate around pipes located underneath cabinets helping to prevent freezing. If the structure has outdoor faucets, consider shutting water off at the main valve in the basement or crawl space. Once the valve is off, open the outdoor faucet to ensure it drains, preventing any remaining water from freezing in the pipe.
- Ask SERVPRO of Livonia about completing an Emergency READY Profile® (ERP) for your business. The ERP is a no-cost assessment of your facility and provides you with a plan to get back in business fast following a disaster.
Storm Damage Restoration
Hit hard by mother nature?
SERVPRO of Livonia provides 24-hour wind and storm damage restoration service in Livonia.
To get help fast, call SERVPRO!
Property damage caused by severe weather can be devastating to your family or business, and repairing it can be a complex undertaking. To get storm damage repair completed quickly and safely, you need a restoration service company that specializes in bringing your home back to its preloss condition.
SERVPRO of Livonia provides specialized emergency cleanup and restoration services in Oxford to bring your property back to normal with minimal interruption. We can handle any damage due to severe weather, including:
- Lightning Strikes
- Tornadoes and high winds
- Hail and ice storms
- Freezing weather and ice dams
SERVPRO has successfully rebuilt tens of thousands of wind-damaged households through the years. It is in situations like these that our team’s specialized skill sets are required. Rebuilding part of a home is very different from a new construction facility. Building materials, design, and finishes must all be matched to the remaining structure, while moisture remaining in the building components may need to be addressed as well.
SERVPRO of Livonia is licensed and insured contractors that are available 24 hours a day. Call SERVPRO (734)744-8104 or find us on the web for your best storm damage restoration costs inspection estimate! Save money and time on Storm Damage Restoration Costs in Livoinia.
Natural Disaster - Flooding
According to the National Weather Service (NOAA), “Approximately seventy-five percent of all Presidential disaster declarations are associated with flooding.” NOAA lists the most common flood hazards in the United States as:
- Flash Flooding
- River Flooding
- Storm Surge and Coastal Inundation from Tropical and Non-Tropical Systems
- Burn Scars/Debris Flows (Caused by Wildfires)
- Ice/Debris Jams
- Dry Wash (Caused by heavy rainfall in dry areas)
- Dam Breaks/Levee Failure
Just because you haven’t experienced a flood doesn’t mean you won’t in the future. In fact, 20% of all claims paid by the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) were for policies in low-risk communities. On average, floods cost $3.5 billion in annual losses in the U.S., and commercial flood claims average more than $75,000 (NFIP).
When catastrophic water damage happens to you, SERVPRO Livonia Professionals can help. They can help you prepare ahead of time with an Emergency Ready Profile (ERP), or respond to any size disaster to begin cleanup and restoration to get you back in business as soon as possible.
Your local SERVPRO of Livonia Professionals are ready to help make it “Like it never even happened.”
Winter Storms in Michigan
As we welcome winter in Michigan we know that the weather can change in the snap of a finger. When a blizzard comes into town we must make sure we know what we are dealing with. A blizzard is a severe snowstorm characterized by strong sustained winds of at least 35 Miles per hour and lasting for an extended amount of time (usually 3 hours or more). A ground blizzard is a weather condition in which snow is not actively falling but loose snow on the ground is blown by strong winds.
Damage from blizzards can be severe and costly if not properly taken care of. Power outages can occur due to strong winds and heavy snow. Temperatures quickly drop below zero, especially with the wind chill. Ice, snow, and winds can cause falling trees, roof cave-ins, and windows breaking.
Quick to help in any storm
SERVPRO Livonia encourages residents throughout the community to take storm damage precautions. With Michigan's intense and unpredictable weather, there are many ways to protect your home from potential damage.
One tip is to have valves on all pipes entering the home. This prevents sewer system back-ups. Any damage involving sewage will requite extensive cleaning and preparation on behalf of the SERVPRO staff. If you do experience a sewage back up into your home, do not hesitate and let us at SERVPRO know right away to minimize the damage quickly.
Make sure with the Fall leaves dropping, to clean gutters and downspouts! We also recommend directing downspouts 5-10’ away from the foundation of the house. A major cause of basement leakage is from overflowing gutters.
Another way to stop water from backing up to the house is to use gravel at the bottom of your downspout.
We hope everyone has a safe and water damage free Fall!