Mold Damage in Livonia, MI
This mold grew behind wall paneling.
Mold can cause many health concerns. The worst part is the sneezing, headaches, fatigue, coughs, etc. can all start before the mold is found. Mold grows when there is moisture, warmth and oxygen. Water damage can quickly lead to mold, therefore mold can be hiding in your walls, ventilation systems, and many other areas not easily visible.
Certain molds can be highly dangerous to remove on your own. The reason it's important to hire a mold remediation company to handle all your mold needs. The proper technicians will be able to not only remove the visible molds, but also the spores from which it grows. Certain molds are highly toxic and dangerous to remove without the proper equipment.
SERVPRO mold remediation technicians will be fully equipped with Haz-Mat suits, full respirators and the cleaning materials necessary to handle the full spectrum of mold infestations. Removing mold is not an easy task. It's just one more reason to call SERVPRO of Livonia.
Hiring- Restoration Technicians
Hiring fast, dependable workers to best help our customers!
Our mission is to approach Water, Fire and Mold Damaged structures and restore them to the point, like it never even happened. We are SERvice PROfessionals. Attention to detail, the ability to communicate with customers in a polite professional manner, and to go into every job with tact are key attributes we search for in all of our candidates.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
This position involves application of cleaning solutions and exposure to moderate noise levels when operating restoration equipment. Performing the physical activities of this position require considerable use of whole body, such as climbing, lifting, balancing, walking, stooping, and handling of equipment. Position requires the ability to lift up to 50 lbs frequently. You also need to be able to work in high places and in confined or tight spaces. You must be capable of working in fire, smoke, and/or water damage environments that have potential for mold and mildew. With the appropriate equipment, cleaning bodily fluids and excrements, along with bugs and other materials will be required. If you have dust allergies and sensitivity to odors, this may not be the best fitting position.
- Must have a professional appearance and great attitude.
- A valid driver's license with a clean driving record.
- Proficient in using an iPad for digital paperwork and documentation. (Drybook experience preferred but not required)
- Ability to pass a criminal background check with no felony convictions and no misdemeanors involving violence or theft.
- You must be able to pass a drug test and be able to pass future random drug tests throughout employment.
- Because we provide 24 hour emergency services, you must be willing to be on call on a rotational basis. Weekend and evening availability is preferred.
- Having a cell phone that can be reached at all times to respond to emergencies and able to respond to the office promptly after getting a call for an emergency is necessary.
- Must work well within a team environment to build each other up and be supportive.
- Must have reliable transportation to and from work.
- Provide excellent customer service.
- Perform on-site production services including water extraction, demolition, fire clean-up, and contents inventory/packing.
- Develop production expertise: services, products, equipment, and documentation.
- Leave jobsite with a clean and orderly appearance.
- Follow the SERVPRO uniform and conduct policy.
- Must be dependable in attendance and very punctual.
- Xactimate sketching skills are preferred.
Construction experience and IICRC certifications are a plus.
Must be open to flexible work schedule with hours dependent on work load.
IICRC Certified...what it means to you.
IICRC logos clearly identify certified technicians who have gone through rigorous training, in order to provide homeowners a higher level of service.
IICRC is the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification. There are many courses and certifications that SERVPRO technicians have obtained to guarantee better service for our customers. The IICRC sets industry standards across the board. They cover everything from cleaning techniques to fire and water damage restoration. They also do extensive training on Mold Remediation. To stay IICRC certified, there are constant re-education courses required.
SERVPRO of Livonia, requires that their lead technicians are IICRC certified. For the last 4 years we have had an IICRC technician on every single job site for the duration of the project, to make sure you, the customer, receives the highest quality of service.
When a SERVPRO IICRC Certified technician enters your home, they are equipped with in depth knowledge of how to assess the damage that has occurred, and then the best tactics to not only stopping further damage but restoring the items you currently have.
SERVPRO Livonia, holds itself to the highest standards in the industry to best serve our customers and our community.
Emergency Survival Kit
SERVPRO survival kits in preparation for winter.
With winter approaching, Michigan weather can be extreme. Between major snow falls and wind storms it's important to have an emergency survival kit ready for when the power does go out! These kits can also be stored in cars, for when that icy patch sends you off into a ditch.
Keep in mind, doubling up on essentials like flashlights and radios is a smart move in case something malfunctions.
- Clean water is a great start
- Blankets, Sleeping Bag
- Additional clothes
- Non-perishable food that can be eaten warmed up or cold (if you pack anything that's perishable, make sure to regularly cycle it through to keep it fresh)
- 1-2 Flashlights with extra batteries
- Matches and small candles. Check to make sure there is a metal or some sort of containment for the wax!
- Any necessary medicines (check expiration dates).
- Medical supplies such as band-aides, gauze, Neosporin and rubbing alcohol.
- Lightweight tent
- Personal hygiene items
- Paper goods (napkins, plates, paper towels)
- Manual can opener
- AM/FM radio.
There's always more a person can add to their survival kit. This is a great starting point. If you do lose power during a storm, pipes can freeze or other damage can occur throughout your home. If that is the case, keep SERVPRO Livonia in mind to help you through!
Cleaning Gutters Prevents Water Damage
If plants are growing better in your gutter than your garden, it's a sign!
With the leaves falling, it’s time to clean the gutters. We know this is not the most pleasant chore, but it can prevent major water damage. A gutter system is designed to carry water away from the home. A blocked gutter can cause water to back up into your home either through the roof or the basement. We have already seen a few cases this year where water damage could have been prevented if only the gutters had been cleaned. A few steps that are recommended, is using a scope to remove the gunk that has built up, then actually hose down the gutter itself. These steps keep water from standing in the gutters, which can lead to wood rot or bug infestations. Be safe and have an additional person at the foot of the ladder to help with anything that may be dropped or to steady the ladder during a wind gust!
What can I do? The first question in every water damage situation.
When your home is flooding with water and you know the damage is starting or already done, a feeling of helplessness sets in. Calling SERVPRO and having our team on it's way, alleviates only a little of that helpless feeling.
As a homeowner, there is only so much you can do, but there are a few things you could know to help us best prepare when we arrive at your home.
- Having a time frame in which the loss occurred. Knowing if it has been days or only a few hours can be a big benefit.
- Knowing the source, whether it's a burst pipe or flood water can determine how much equipment we need to bring. It's also good to know for your own safety. There are degrees of water that no ill equipped homeowner should deal with.
- If electricity will be available. If we know we have to arrange for an outside power source, we can start mitigation must faster.
- Do not use a household vacuum on water.
- Shut off the source of the water if at all possible, and it's safe to do so.
- Remove anything with ink or dyes from the carpet to prevent staining.
These few tips will be a big help when SERVPRO arrives at your water loss. We are here to make it "Like it never even happened."
Emergency Fire Tips
There are many do's and don'ts for emergency damage situations. One of the hardest parts of dealing with the aftermath of a fire, is the desire to start cleaning and getting everything back in order. It's very important to NOT start cleaning. In an effort to straighten everything out, you may actually cause further damage. Here are a few do's that you can do. Keep your hands clean and limit movement in the home to prevent further damage. Place dry colorfast towels or old linens on carpeted traffic areas to prevent more soiling. If the electricity is turned off, empty freezers and refrigerators. You are able to wipe soot from chrome on faucets and appliances, but do not clean any appliance that was near the fire without consulting an expert first. SERVPRO of Livonia is dedicated to helping you recover from your fire loss.
Emergency Ready Program
Emergency Read Plan Application
At SERVPRO Livonia, we encourage our commercial customers to have an Emergency Ready Profile. An ERP is a great tool for when disaster strikes. SERVPRO has recently released a mobile app to support this program. The Emergency Ready Profile app contains all of the local emergency contact information and work approval options.
This means, as a business, any employee will know what to do in case of water or fire damage. With a work approval available through the app, SERVPRO can start working the second they are on site.
The best time to plan for damage events is not after an event happens, but well before. No one ever plans on walking into work and then walking into a disaster, but you can be ready for it. When damage strikes, you can be ruined or you can be READY! Contact us today to set up your ERP appointment.
Floods and Furniture
Example of where furniture elevation would have helped.
In a short amount of time water and floods can cause severe damage. Water quickly invades a space, absorbing into flooring, drywall and furniture. Through the first hour to 24 hours, the drywall can break down, furniture swell, crack and become discolored, and a musty odor sets in. There are many ways to minimize water damage to furniture. Placing furniture on an upper floor or on blocks and pads (about a foot off the ground) will help to distance items from the water. If the furniture isn’t able to be raised, attempt to wrap items in plastic to create a barrier. It will be important to keep an eye out for discoloration and mold developing on your furniture. Not only do we at SERVPRO Livonia, want to mitigate your water damage but we want to minimize your water damage.
Quick to help in any storm
SERVPRO Livonia encourages residents throughout the community to take storm damage precautions. With Michigan's intense and unpredictable weather, there are many ways to protect your home from potential damage.
One tip is to have valves on all pipes entering the home. This prevents sewer system back-ups. Any damage involving sewage will requite extensive cleaning and preparation on behalf of the SERVPRO staff. If you do experience a sewage back up into your home, do not hesitate and let us at SERVPRO know right away to minimize the damage quickly.
Make sure with the Fall leaves dropping, to clean gutters and downspouts! We also recommend directing downspouts 5-10’ away from the foundation of the house. A major cause of basement leakage is from overflowing gutters.
Another way to stop water from backing up to the house is to use gravel at the bottom of your downspout.
We hope everyone has a safe and water damage free Fall!